Summer is at its peak, it’s time to grab your swimsuits and jump straight to the swimming beach. But before diving in the sea or in a lake, you should take into account the water temperature.
Yes, at beaches, safety parameters are essential too, but more than that, you need to pay attention to the temperature of the water. Depending on the depth of the water and weather conditions, the water temperature may vary.
So, what will be the comfortable water temperature for swimming in the sea? The question may strike into the mind so many times. The ideal water temperature for swimming on beach is between 27.5 to 29.5 degrees Celsius ( 81 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit )
But if the temperature exceeds, it can harm your skin, and too cold temperature may choke your blood vessels. The possibility is there you may get unconscious too.
This is why, in the article, we’ll provide you all the details that you need to know about the best water temperature for swimming. So, let’s take a deep dive and scroll down.
Swimming Habit and Temperature Water
To know about the ambient temperature for swimming on the beach, first, you need to know about your swimming habits. This may sound confusing to you, but yes, your swimming habit also helps to determine the nice temperature for swimming.
If you do not swim regularly or hardly swim, you may not use much energy to swim, and your body cools down frequently. In that case, the ideal temperature for swimming in the sea doesn’t exceed more than 29.5-degree Celsius or between 82 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit.
However, for the babies, the ideal temperature of the water is more than 29.5-degree Celsius. But keep in mind that you must not leave your kids in the water for more than 30 minutes.
The rigorous swimmer who swims frequently and faster can bear low temperatures. This is because they use intense energy to swim, and their body takes time to cool down. Hence, the good temperature for the rigorous swimmer is between 20–25-degree Celsius.
However, avoid swimming when the temperature exceeds more than 30-degree Celsius as it may cause you heatstroke. Apart from this, if the water temperature drops below 10 degrees, it makes your blood freeze too. Only a few trained swimmers can bear that temperature. So, if you hardly swim, then avoid swimming in such extreme temperatures.
Keep An Eye on Water and Environment Condition
Before diving into the water for swimming in the sea or beach, you should know about the water temperature and environment temperature and consider your body temperature. Remember that the temperature of the air, water, and your body isn’t the same.
So, you should respect the water and monitor the environmental conditions because extreme weather conditions can be hazardous for your life. Along with this, monitor a few temperature zones and areas that help you understand the ambient temperature for swimming in a particular location.
- 66°F to 70°F: The swimmers of the west coast can beat this temperature easily. However, if you are not a regular swimmer, you may get unconscious due to cold water. Besides that, some swimmers can even tolerate the temperature above 75°F. So, if you say yes, and the temperature suits you, then you must go swimming.
- 71°F to 77°F: This is the normal temperature of the Mediterranean Sea and is considered as the perfect temperature for swimming on the beach for all individuals. However, sometimes you may experience a few degrees rise or down as you enter the water. This is fine because it happens due to physical changes, and the body is trying to adapt to the environment. But as soon as you enter the water, you will feel comfortable swimming.
- 78°F to 84°F: This must be the ideal temperature for the swimmers and slightly bearable by all the individuals. This temperature is standard lagoon temperature and doesn’t vary much throughout the years. Besides that, the temperature is ideal for the kids too.
- 85°F to 90°F: Asian seas may have slightly heating temperatures such as 30°C to 33°C. So, if you belong to Asia and are habitual of swimming, you can enter the water without thinking twice. Indeed, this is the ambient temperature to which mind and body agree.
- 91°F to 95°F: This is exceptional heating temperature and particularly in Asian oceans. The temperature may exceed 35°C, and it is extremely hot and doesn’t give you a refreshing feeling anymore. Moreover, it burns your skin too. Therefore, if you have a rigorous swimming habit, try to avoid swimming when the temperature exceeds.
What Temperature is Ideal for Swimming According to the Swimmers?
|0-5 degrees||This is the freezing temperature and not ideal for vigorous swimmers as it can cause pain and may freeze your breath. Only extreme swimmers who get the training can tolerate the temperature|
|5-10 degree||Lakes and arctic oceans may drop the temperature to 10 degrees which is freezing and also not recommended for the short swimmers|
|10-15 degree||The beach temperature that hit between the 10-15 degree is ideal for only the experienced swimmers only who get training to tolerate the cold temperature|
|20-25 degree||This temperature you may find in the Asian sea and rarely exceed in the sea around the UK. If you are not an experienced swimmer and use a wetsuit for swimming, then try to remove it before entering the water because it may cause you overheating|
|25-30 degree||For open water swimmers, the temperature is high, and it may affect your body temperature too. Therefore, it is always recommended not to wear a wetsuit.|
|More than 30 degrees||The temperature is not ideal for swimming purposes and may cause you heatstroke too.|
Sea Temperature in Florida by month:
Do you fancy a swim in Florida for example? We will tell you the expected seawater temperatures for each month in order to be able to choose the best time for going to the beach and swimming.
|January||60.8 °F to74.3 °F||Pleasant Swimming|
|February||60.8 °F to 74.12 °F||Pleasant Swimming|
|March||74.12 °F to 75.56 °F||Pleasant Swimming|
|April||69.26 °F to 78.98 °F||Ideal Swimming|
|May||74.66 °F to 81.32 °F||Ideal Swimming|
|June||79.52 °F to 83.66 °F||Ideal Swimming|
|July||82.04 °F to 85.64 °F||Ideal Swimming|
|August||82.94 °F to 87.44 °F||Ideal Swimming|
|September||82.58 °F to 85.82 °F||Ideal Swimming|
|October||78.8 °F to 82.94 °F||Ideal Swimming|
|November||71.96 °F to 79.16 °F||Ideal Swimming|
|December||64.94 °F to 76.46 °F||Pleasant Swimming|
Bottom Line :
So, here are the complete statistics about the perfect temperature for swimming on the beach. However, it is completely dependent on your swimming habits and temperature-bearing capacity. But be aware if you aren’t a trained swimmer, then try to avoid the extreme temperature condition as it may risk your health. Apart from this, physical fitness, body fat, and the swimming type can also be considered when you decide the ideal temperature for swimming on the beach.